Lobe piercing and stretching. For my first how-to guide, I thought I’d start off with the lobe, a brilliant piercing which is often quite easy to heal. Click the read more link to read the full guide on lobe piercing, cleaning, healing and after care.
A bit of background information on lobe piercings: Lobe piercings have been around for thousands of years. The bible even directly references them!
“In Exodus 32:1-4, it is written that while Moses was up on Mount Sinai, the Israelites demanded that Aaron make a god for them. It is written that he commanded them to bring their sons’ and daughters’ earrings to him in order that he might comply with their demand. (ca. 1500 BCE)”
They have been performed in all different circumstances and for all differing reasons. However, the trend of piercing reemerged within the 50’s and 60’s, and hasn’t really gone away since!
So, now we know a bit on the background of the piercing, we can look at what to expect.
1) A lobe piercing should be performed with a NEEDLE and NOT a GUN! The APP (Association of Professional Piercers) feel very strongly about this, and rightly so! If you want to acquaint yourself with why guns are bad, and should be avoided like the plague, have a read of the APP’s Official Gun Guide and get to know why guns ain’t good!
2) Lobe piercings should be initially pierced with a titanium labret stud, or a titanium barbell. Whilst CBR’S and BCR’s are fine to wear after the initial piercing, they shouldn’t be used as initial jewellery, as they can drag crust formation of lymph, into the healing fistula, which can seriously prolong the healing period!
Why titanium? Titanium is an inert body-friendly metal that doesn’t cause allergic reactions, can be anodised into different colours, and is a lot lighter than surgical steel. I’ll make an entire new post on Steel Vs Titanium.
3) Lobe piercings are often pierced at 1.2mm, or 16g. However, if you plan to stretch your piercing, you can specifically ask to be pierced at a larger gauge, however there are often healing complications with much large gauge initial piercings.
Okay, so, I’ve got my lobes pierced? How do I look after them?
1) Like all piercings, and wounds, you need the proper care before you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your piercing.
2) How to make a saline solution: Stick on a kettle! Get some SEA SALT, Maldon sea salt is brilliant. Why sea salt I hear you ask? It doesn’t have any impurities, it’s just pure NaCl, which means that it’s a lot nicer on your piercing, and helps aid healing. Add 1/4th of a teaspoon of sea salt to a mug of boiling water. Any more than 1/4th, and you end up with a very dry piercing. (I’ll go into the specifics in a different post). Wait until the salt solution has cooled (it needs to be hot though) and dunk your lobes in the mug. This draws out any nasty things in there, and gives a nice deep clean all the way in that piercing.
DO NOT: Twist the earring. This breaks the healing tissue, and will cause your piercing to take a lot longer to heal!
DO NOT: Use Hydrogen peroxide! It’s far too harsh for healed piercings, let alone fresh! (Once again, I’ll go into the specifics on a different post).
DO NOT: Use harsh, anti bacterial soap, believe it or not, your lobes actually need bacteria to help them heal, and stripping that away means removing any chance of a nice quick heal!
How long until I can change the jewellery?
Patience is key here! Wait two months before changing to high-quality (preferably titanium) jewellery, and after the first change, clean the piercing once a day for a week, just to be on the safe side.
How long until it’s healed?
With lobes, you’re looking between 6-9 months. Obviously it depends on your own healing time, but you’re look at the maximum of a year in most cases.
Three lobe piercings and a tragus.
Any questions? Just ask in the ask box, and I’ll reply ASAP!
(c) Emily May Armstrong 2011
51 Notes/ Hide
- whyismyrumgone likes this
- steamboats- likes this
- temporisinghalcyon likes this
- firsttohate likes this
- beautifulme-a-blessing likes this
- alittledeathh likes this
- rastea likes this
- dingus4l likes this
- thesacredspirit likes this
- technicolorcontusions likes this
- alphaeldridge likes this
- fileyourcomplaint likes this
- frree-spiriit likes this
- snotpunx likes this
- awfulmodifications reblogged this from hayflick and added:
- betty-blow likes this
- lady-of-butterflies likes this
- rejuvenile likes this
- xtinaisdvs reblogged this from fuckyeahbodymods
- nmlrs likes this
- with-out-wax likes this
- 0palize likes this
- tinyseacreature likes this
- michellefe likes this
- electrikpulse likes this
- takeoffpants likes this
- nihilismparadox reblogged this from fuckyeahbodymods
- buriedundertheheart likes this
- heathernevershout reblogged this from fuckyeahbodymods
- heathernevershout likes this
- stillstealing likes this
- caerabear likes this
- azelie likes this
- glitteringcl0ud reblogged this from fuckyeahbodymods
- swamp-honey likes this
- destroyerkills likes this
- helloscruffy reblogged this from fuckyeahbodymods and added:
- helloscruffy likes this
- tattooedmumma likes this
- fillerbunny13 likes this
- fuckyeahbodymods reblogged this from hayflick
- hayflick posted this