Surface Anchor/Microdermal Info:
(“3 Anchors..top 2 with anatometal 1/16 rise, 3rd with 3/32 rise. I.S. tops…4mm TZ 3mm TZ, and 2mm demi natural stone AM.”— done by Sarah LaRoe at Sol Tribe)
Terminology: Surface anchors are called many things such as microdermals, dermal anchors, microdermal implant, and so on, however “…the preferred terminology for this type of piercing (from the Association of Professional Piercers) is a “surface anchor.” We want to distinguish it from implants and other more serious forms of body modification, because we view them as simply another type of piercing. When we use the terms “microdermal,” “dermal anchor,” or “microdermal implant,” that can cause legislators to think we’re doing something more serious than we are.” (source: under ‘SURFACE ANCHOR TROUBLE’)
Healing time: 2-3+ months
It’s hard to explain the above diagram (source) so i’m hoping the diagram helps: the piercer will use a piercing needle (or dermal/biopsy punch and taper) to make a small pocket to insert the jewelry.
Aftercare: The aftercare suggested to me from this wonderful piercer was to soak the piercing in saline 2-3x a day for 2-5 minutes. After I was done soaking and after I rinsed off the piercing site, she suggested that I fold a sanitary, single-use paper towel and clean under the gem/head of the surface anchor with the fold (this was to make sure I cleaned up any lymph, dead cells and anything else that can collect under the disc that could cause rejection).
ABSOLUTELY NO SOAPS USED FOR A SURFACE ANCHOR— the soap residue can get into the wound, build-up and ultimately cause/lead to rejection so please, NO soaps (not even Satin or Provon).
What’s normal/what to expect: Initial bleeding, bruising, tenderness, and swelling are normal. You may notice that you have a bruise for awhile that’s green/yellow in color, this is what my piercer (Sarah LaRoe) calls “zombie bruising”— it’s nothing to worry about and should go away in time.
Expect some itching, discoloration, secretion of lymph (please do NOT force lymph out of the piercing, let it naturally secrete), and crusties while the piercing is healing.
Rejection: According to Elayne Angel’s research, surface anchors last an average of 2 years (this was an average, obviously the life of a surface anchor can be much longer or shorter). Please ONLY get a surface anchor knowing that it is only a temporary adornment. If any signs of rejection appear, please go back to your piercer immediately for their help (please do not try to remove a surface anchor on your own).
Removal: PLEASE go back to your piercer for removal. Once the surface anchor is removed, your piercer should give you advice on how to heal the wound to prevent infection.
91 Notes/ Hide
- brittybitch likes this
- thatskyronic likes this
- owllsandanchors likes this
- sluttytheslutgun likes this
- jellyfeeesh reblogged this from hex-files
- televisionlights likes this
- hex-files reblogged this from awfulmodifications and added:
- meowthamphetamine likes this
- elegyonmars likes this
- scintillance likes this
- faux-religion likes this
- donesodonewiththisaccount reblogged this from piercedandhooked
- kirihiraku likes this
- dontbeatpeople reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- emmysux likes this
- skitterykitty reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- i-just-rode-up-on-a-unicorn-and reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- bringoutyerdead reblogged this from piercedandhooked
- fal1ne likes this
- merikeninspiration reblogged this from piercedandhooked
- passionatepiercing reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- pokiman reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- breakyafayce likes this
- painkitten likes this
- ipukeunicornsx likes this
- to-weird-to-live-too-rare-to-die likes this
- likemonuments likes this
- satanicspacecat reblogged this from thewestboromassacre and added:
- cubonecutie likes this
- gisellarose likes this
- damned-ragdoll reblogged this from rotandrage and added:
- damned-ragdoll likes this
- fheiugf likes this
- thewestboromassacre reblogged this from rotandrage
- rotandrage reblogged this from piercedandhooked
- rotandrage likes this
- bringoutyerdead likes this
- dancingwith-you reblogged this from piercedandhooked
- mount-roraima likes this
- piercedandhooked reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- fileyourcomplaint likes this
- awfulmodifications posted this