Your child is not an accessory: Why piercing your child’s ears is wrong.
I see young children (anywhere between birth and 5/6 years old) with huge big blingy gold studs in their ears on a far too increasing basis. And it is extremely worrying.
There’s multiple things that are wrong with piercing a very young infant, and I’m sure logic will prevail, even against the most vehement pro-baby piercing individuals that exist.
So, why shouldn’t we pierce children’s ears?
- How the heck would you like it if a stranger pinned you down and assaulted you with a sharp object totally against your will. Assault is defined as: ”Make a physical attack on”. Piercing without consent is most definitely a physical attack. It causes pain, and when against someone’s will, is indeed a ‘physical attack’. Did your 3 day old child say ‘Dear parents or guardians, please pierce my ears for me’? Did it? No. Of course not. Then it’s assault. It’s inflicting pain on another human being without their express permission or consent.
- A good reputable piercing establishment will never pierce an infant, often, a child under the age of 12 will not even be considered for a piercing. Why is this I hear you ask? A child will most likely not look after their new piercings correctly! Children are fast, excitable bundles of messy movement, always running around, bashing into things. Will they remember to get their parents to help make them a sea salt soak every evening to look after their ears? Probably not. Now I hear you ask ‘well, why shouldn’t the parents do it?’. It’s the child’s piercings, it’s the owner of the modification’s responsibility to care for them, not a parent. If a child cannot be trusted to care for a piercing, it shouldn’t have permission to get one, regardless of age. Can’t care for it? Don’t get it. Same goes for pets in my opinion, but that’s a different story.
- Do I even need to begin on why guns are so gosh-darn awful? Fancy being pierced with something that’s liable to be contaminated with another humans blood? That cannot be fully autoclaved, therefore can never be sterilised? Having a blunt object fired through your ear that tears a hole through flesh, rather than creating a sterile, crescent shape, perfect for jewellery insertion by a professional? Still not convinced they’re awful, read this, written by the Association of Professional Piercers: http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/faq/#guns, and even by using a search engine and typing in ‘piercing gun’, so much more relevant literature will become available.
In short, why on earth would you subject a child to possibly gaining a life threatening infection from a gun, harming them (because they cannot give their permission, therefore, by the law, it’s classed as harm and assault), something that they will likely not care for, and will cause them pain?
Unless your child has expressed their wanting for their lobes to be pierced, don’t even think about it. And when your child does ask, for the love of all that is holy, take them to a professional.
One final question: How many of you had your ears gunned as a child, resulting in scar tissue, uneven placement and countless other complications? Would you subject a child to that without their consent?
297 Notes/ Hide
- cassavesdean likes this
- swiftasacoursingriversong likes this
- mangupti likes this
- lets-get-invisiblee reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- hannibalbonhamcarter reblogged this from janetsnakeh0le
- janetsnakeh0le likes this
- janetsnakeh0le reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- yaboibillnye reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- openendedsky likes this
- letmetouchyourskylarastin reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- passingdreams likes this
- boy-king reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- barbieswithbettyfinn reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- adeleblancsec reblogged this from shadyoaks
- skyreset likes this
- tuggywuggy likes this
- electinae reblogged this from awfulmodifications and added:
- r3al-li3z likes this
- grannydiner reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- circumfluent reblogged this from thevitaes and added:
- alexbaeddelbunny likes this
- thevitaes reblogged this from a-tomb0mb and added:
- a-tomb0mb reblogged this from awfulmodifications and added:
- reformedchangeling likes this
- villiljos reblogged this from mygayshoes and added:
- hatemonstervsthelovebug reblogged this from windreaver and added:
- malcolmtuckerss likes this
- windreaver reblogged this from mygayshoes
- nauticalavenger reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- princeinshinyskirts reblogged this from mygayshoes and added:
- villiljos likes this
- molhouse reblogged this from mygayshoes
- andersonsnooper likes this
- mygayshoes reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- kissmeforayear answered:I got it pierced three times on one ear because the girl didn’t do it right when I was like,6 or 7.
- bry-in-white answered:I was pressured into getting them gunned when I was 11. It was at piercing pagoda. I was much too young and now i have horrible keloids.
- chibifaic answered:My own lobes were done when I was…three months? I wouldn’t know, I can’t remember. They’re uneven ‘because’ I cried the whole time.
- definitelynotsane answered:I got my first ear piercing done when I was two months old x.x
- sansanstardust answered:My ear was “gunned” when I was maybe 6 yo. The pain was so shocking that I didn’t let them pierce my other ear, so my mom took the hit.
- m-i-s-a-n-t-h-r-o-p-o-s answered:I had my ears pierced a very young age and my mother looked after them every day until they were completely healed. No infection. No risks.
- Ally answered:i begged to have it done for ages before i got my ears pierced on my 7th bday. it was with a gun and hurt like hell, but never had a problem
- goddess-of-somethingorother answered:When I was young, I remember having my ears pierced. I also remember one getting infected because the gun put the back on too tightly.
- ymcmbrofisting answered:I got my ears pierced for the second time at Claire’s when I was 9 or 10. The gun actually got stuck on my ear.
- gonadus answered:i totally agree. i was probably about 4 and had trouble with my ears being irritated literally until i was about 8 even with jewelry out
- sonimol reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- christmasqueers answered:I had mine pierced at Claire’s at 9, and she did one at an angle, plus they took over two years to heal fully and I now have scar tissue.
- crashinthesky answered:I had my ears pierced when I was a baby, a nurse did it with my own gold earring. It never got infected, but I agree piercing kids is WRONG.
- girl-unobserved answered:I had my ears pierced twice; the first time as a baby (piercing gun/got infected) and the second time when I was 11 or 12 and I had to go…
- deadglass answered:when i have kids, i’m definitely not going to pierce their ears before they can actually SPEAK
- fit-bananna answered:I’m still annoyed with my ears. I was pierced as a baby, and now that I am older and can see, one is a good 3mm lower than the other. Boooo