This might honestly be one of the worse stretching guides I’ve ever read. Whats even worse is that the website looks deceivingly reputable, which means there’s a good chance people will be taking this guide seriously.
Here are some of their stretching tip gems:
When inserting wood plugs that are just slightly too tight, try putting them in a zip-lock baggie and then letting them sit in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. The cold causes the wood to constrict and then they’ll warm and expand in your ear.
Right… because allowing something to expand while it’s in your ear is definitely a good idea and totally won’t potentially lead to ripping..
A new, tight sponge can be cut to about 1/2” larger than the plug you want to wear. Wet the sponge and squeeze it into the lobe. As the sponge dries and expands overnight it can stretch the ear quite a bit. Be careful taking the sponge out, as the skin can get quite a grip on it.
……so many things are wrong with this.
Begin by pushing the taper into the piercing gently until it meets resistance. […] If the taper is more than half way through then the stretch will usually be fairly easy. […] push the taper through until only about 1/4 inch is left. There should be some resistance. If there is no resistance or, if you feel no burning or pressure, you can probably try the next size. If you do feel a burning sensation, or even a bit of pain, then the stretch was perfect.
After a week or two the piercing should feel good and healthy.
They honestly just said that there should be pain when stretching your lobes, and actually ADVOCATED skipping sizes! Also, if you’re stretching properly it shouldn’t take a two weeks for your ears to feel “good and healthy”, they should instantly feel good and healthy.
Why it’s awful:
This website looks reputable, but is propagating terrible stretching advice. I don’t know how many poor people have been misinformed by this website, but I hope it’s not too many.
How to fix it:
Take down this article!
17 Notes/ Hide
- zephwitch likes this
- necr0kitten reblogged this from awfulmodifications and added:
- arkeiryn reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- walk-in-the-park-with-satan reblogged this from bittersweetaubade
- captain-of-this-og-starship reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- whattheworldisreallylike reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- whattheworldisreallylike likes this
- solongtodevotion likes this
- hailm3thsmokesatan reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- cacophiliac reblogged this from awfulmodifications and added:
- pattesdours likes this
- littlebearwoman likes this
- zingiberis submitted this to awfulmodifications