Picking Your Piercer - IT’S YOUR CHOICE!
From the APP’s Choosing a Piercer brochure
This is meant to be a guideline and to aid you in having a safe piercing experience.
- See their autoclave (sterilizer)
An autoclave is a device that sterilizes the jewelry, tools and equipment necessary to perform your piercing/s by eliminating bacteria and its spores. The most effective units available to studios use a combination of steam and pressure. (”Dry Heat” is NOT considered appropriate for sterilization.) Absolutely no studio should be in operation without this vital piece of equipment!
- Spore test Results
A spore test (biological indicator) is the only way to know that an autoclave is working properly. Biological indicators actually test the autoclave’s ability to kill even the most dangerous & resistant organisms such as HIV, Hepatitis, etc. The studio should keep recent results on file and be willing to show them to you.
- Piercing Set-up
Ask if you can watch them set-up for a piercing and be in the room when they set up for yours. The piercer should first wash and glove their hands. The equipment should be sealed in individual sterilized packages and placed on a tray. The piercer should change gloves if they touch anything in the room other than you and the sterile equipment. All needles should be in individual sterile packages and should be opened while you are present. NEVER let a piercer use a needle on you that was soaked in a liquid. All needles should be disposed of in a sharps container (usually a small red box marked “biohazard”) after they have been used on a single client.
- Do they provide aftercare guidelines?
The aftercare for your piercing should be explained to you and provided in writing. Read this sheet BEFORE you have the piercing done! If it tells you to treat your piercing with harsh soap, ointment, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide, the studio is not keeping up with industry standards.
For those of you who don’t have an APP member within reach, this can be really helpful.
A piercer doesn’t HAVE to be an APP member to be good, but usually the two overlap.
287 Notes/ Hide
- 0piumfant4sy likes this
- xxlady-lightningxx likes this
- what-have-i--become likes this
- creep1n-1t-real likes this
- fantestes reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- rump-roast reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- rump-roast likes this
- wemtz likes this
- bindmetooblivion likes this
- 50-shadesofsuckmydick likes this
- aviancranium likes this
- freetoflythecrimsonsky likes this
- sleepysatyr likes this
- cathy-ann likes this
- amorphousblob likes this
- i-love-bands-and-pizza likes this
- issybird likes this
- issybird reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- alyssawearsprada likes this
- findmeafucktogive likes this
- cherishedsaulie likes this
- valhallalagoon likes this
- bootses likes this
- agoniz-ed likes this
- mimilives likes this
- endureyourself likes this
- roobydoobydoo likes this
- eternally-cas reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- breakingstone likes this
- blackbuttlerr likes this
- kyleezee likes this
- kyleezee reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- asecondspookylove reblogged this from awfulmodifications
- astrobots likes this
- anal-cavity likes this
- fantastic-allonsy-geronim0 likes this
- orgasmicplushtoy likes this
- merry--stumpmas likes this
- wakeupstarryeyes likes this
- zoealiceinwonderland likes this
- sparrowjae likes this
- lovely-landfill likes this
- leewahh likes this
- drewskiskiski likes this
- highlyfunctioningsociopth likes this
- mod-allure reblogged this from themodifiedbody
- themodifiedbody reblogged this from ryanpba
- scaredstars likes this