Don’t have a clue Don’t tattoo!
This is not for everybody that happens to tattoo out of their house.. there are a few out there who are still being safe.. However, most of you do not have a clue..
It seems that everybody and their brother can be a.. and I use this term lightly, “Tattoo Artist” in this day in age. “All you gotta do is follow the lines” blah blah.. oh sure.
With this being said, I have a few questions for you kitchen wizard tattooers out there.
1. Are you TRAINED and CERTIFIED in bloodborne pathogens?
2. Can you list ANY bloodborne pathogens? …do you even know what a bloodborne pathogen IS??
3. How many YEARS can it take HPV, HIV, AIDS to take affect?
4. How many layers of skin are there? And what are the proper layers to reach while tattooing?
5. Staph? Mirsa?
6. Who/what is OSHA?
7. Do you own an Ultrasonic cleaner? Do you know why these are used?
8. Do you own an Autoclave? …What is an autoclave??
9. What is the proper temperature to reach when sterilizing with an autoclave? And how many pounds of steam pressure is needed to be reached for proper sterilization? How long must you sterilize your instruments in an autoclave?
10. What indicates that the sterilization process is completed?
11. How do you properly clean and prep your tools BEFORE sterilization?
12. What is the difference between SANITIZED and STERILIZED?
“oh, but I use disposable tubes” Okay, good for you, skidplate. However:
13. What is cross contamination? How are you preventing it from happening?
14. What is barrier film?
15. What needs to have barriers to prevent cross contamination?
16. What is the proper procedure when it comes to disposing of sharps?
17. Is the surface you are working on able to be sanitized and disinfected? …What surfaces are able to be sanitized and disinfected??
18. What is a clipcord cover? Why do I need this silly thing??
19. When should you change your gloves while doing just ONE tattoo?
20. Where you able to answer ANY of these!?!?
This is an example of the MINIMUM you need to know before you pick up a tattoo machine. This is just a taste of what the state REQUIRES for anybody to work in a Tattoo shop… Would you do plastic surgery on your friends if you were not trained? TATTOOING IS NO FUCKING EXCEPTION!!!!
I take this shit seriously. This is my friends careers, and they worked fucking hard to make it happen, and I find it fucking offensive and disgusting knowing this shit is going on in an unsafe manner.
(note) ALCOHOL DOES NOT STERILIZE ANYTHING!!!!! …So, stop fucking doing it!
If this offends anybody who scratches in an unsafe manner, well fuck you, because you offend me every fucking time you do a tattoo. But, to those of you who are being SAFE and ARE using the correct precautions, keep it up!
I REALLY hope some people can learn from this. If this pissed you off, than obviously you aren’t doing something right.